It’s pretty unusual for me to make vegetarian food, but seeing as I had some halloumi in the fridge I thought I would get inventive and make something I could take to a beach BBQ.
To make life easier prepare the relish and slice up the cheese at home before venturing out. I was quite pleased with the end result of this, considering it was a bit of an improvisation – although it’s perhaps not the prettiest thing to look at!
The most expensive item was the halloumi at £2.50ish for a block followed by the houmous at £1.20 a pot – this is only to spread on the burger rolls, so you can void it if you wish. Approximate cost: £5.50
For the relish:
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Big handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt and pepper to season
For the Burger:
- 1 block of halloumi (sliced into eight)
- 4 large flat/portobello mushrooms
- 8 dollops of houmous
- Handful of spinach
- 4 burger buns
- Prepare your relish at home. De-seed and chop the tomatoes into very small squares – keep the tomato seeds as you can use them in dishes like curried goat in addition to chopped tomatoes.
- Mix the tomatoes, spring onions, garlic, cumin and olive oil in a bowl. Then add the coriander and lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To give yourself less work during cooking, you can prepare the other ingredients by slicing the halloumi and spreading the houmous on the burger buns at home.
- On a BBQ, cook the mushrooms for about 4 minutes each side. You may want to bring some oil along to baste them in during cooking to keep them moist and stop them sticking (I improvised and used cava).
- When you turn over the mushrooms, put the halloumi on the BBQ and cook for two minutes on each side.
- Construct your burger by placing the mushroom and two bits of halloumi within the houmous-slathered burger bun – then top with the relish and a few leaves of spinach.
Want more stuff like this? Like Greedy B on Facebook!