If you’re struggling to cope with today’s Referendum result, why not try my twist on a traditional Caribbean Rum Punch?
Whilst the standard Rum Punch recipe uses dark rum and icing sugar I’ve traded these for spiced rum such as Sailor Jerry or Captain Morgan. This concoction of ingredients is delicious but lethal so go easy or you could end up completely obliterated. The good news is that by the time you wake from your rum-induced coma the value of your savings might’ve increased to what they were worth in 1987. Hooray!
Please note that by ‘measure’ I mean a 25ml shot of liquid.
For this cocktail you will need:
- 2 measures Sunset Very Strong Rum (available online or widely in the Caribbean)
- 1 measure Spiced Rum
- 1 measure Pineapple Juice
- 1 measure Orange Juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 measure of Grenadine Syrup
- Dash of Angostura Bitters
- Whole nutmeg
- Put all ingredients except the nutmeg in a cocktail mixer and shake. Pour into a tall glass filled with crushed ice and grate a little nutmeg on top.
- Decorate elaborately with pineapple and orange slices if you feel like it or perhaps – on a day like today – neck it all down in one, think ‘This is lovely, I’ll have more a few more this please’ and move to the West Indies.